"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Make a Magazine Journal

Here's another fun project from YouTuber craftyhodges.  You can make an art journal/planner or whatever kind of book you'd like from a magazine!  Basically you rip out as many pages as needed for the size journal you would like, reinforce the spine and decorate the front and back covers. Joann's instructions are very thorough and detailed so if you are interested, I suggest you click the link above for more information.  She also did a Traveler's Notebook version here.

I made a TN version from an old craft magazine I was going to add to the recycling bin.  I am going to use this for collage and have already added my three quirky collages from Joanne's You Tube series to the book. I love making something useful from what was going to be discarded!


The first photo shows the magazine cut down to size from the top. (Most standard-sized magazines are just about the right size in width once you fold the pages in half, so you don't have to cut the side.)  The spine is reinforced with white duct tape. You can see where I started to fold before I remembered to photograph it.




This next photo shows the pages folded in half and glued.  More tape is reinforcing the spine in the middle of the magazine. I also reinforced both the inside front and back covers.




Here is the journal folded, taped, glued and ready to decorate.




I added papers from Jane Davenport's awesome paper pad to the front and back covers and used some dimensional black sticker letters for the title.  The spine is covered in very old 7 Gypsies gaffers tape.








I also made a pocket on the inside front cover.




Can you guess what I will be using this for? 

No comments: