"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Friday, March 23, 2018

Best Transfers Yet

I think I have ADD when it comes to art! I start one project, move to another and another, and don't finish anything! Actually it sometimes works to my advantage because I can move on to something else while paint is drying...

I recently discovered a new YouTuber (to me), a mixed-media artist from California named Lorri Marie Jenkins. I started binge-watching her altered book tutorials and immediately grabbed an old book to start making my own.

One of her tutorials was on transfers. I have done many transfers before and the results are iffy at best. So many factors can ruin a transfer. But, following her instructions, I made these very successful transfers on a double-page spread.




They are not perfect but about as good as any transfer could be. 

Here are some basic instructions: Cover the image three times with a coat of Mod Podge, drying fully between each layer. Paint the substrate with acrylic paint and then coat with a medium coverage of Mod Podge. Place image face down, burnish well and dry completely. Then mist the image with water and start rubbing the paper off. If there is a haze of white left once the image is dry, there is still paper pulp to remove.  Repeat as needed. I found that I could rub quite vigorously (unlike with other transfers I've done) and I had very little lift-off of the original image.

There's still more to be done to these pages, but I am happy with my transfers! And I have several other pages in the works, so will share more later.

1 comment:

Sue Kosec said...

Transferring is something I've *threatened* to do for years. Maybe I should just watch the YouTube video. Yours turned out great!

Happy Spring!
xo
SuZeQ